Homemade BBQ Sauce
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 oz tomato paste
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (sub honey or agave)
- 2 teaspoons liquid smoke
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- dash of cayenne (optional)
- In a large skillet heat the olive oil over medium low heat.
- Add the onion and garlic, and sauté for 7-10 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste, water, balsamic vinegar, maple syrup, liquid smoke, salt, pepper and (optional) cayenne. Stir while sautéing for 10-12 minutes.
- After 10-12 minutes, take off heat and let cool for a few minutes before transferring skillet contents to a blender or food processor.
- Blend on high until smooth.
This is BBQ sauce exactly the way God intended it. Simple. Delicious. Flavorful. Healthy. Being raised in the south, barbecue sauce is a major life component of mine. I grew up dipping EVERYTHING into it. Literally everything… nuggets, fries, pizza, didn’t matter. You name it – I dipped it. And looking back I realized why I love sugar so much. ‘Cause it’s one of those sauces (like most of ’em) that are secretly laden with sugar, sugar and more sugar. So I set out to right that wrong, reducing the sugar and also to making the process 10 times easier. I would like to announce that I succeeded. BIG TIME.
So say goodbye to the bbq sauce of old! Something new is here to blow you mind. YAY.