Baked Donut French Toast
- 1 cup all purpose flour (sub gluten-free all purpose flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup nonfat greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons non dairy milk
- 1½ tablespoons vegan buttery spread, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
French Toast Batter Ingredients:
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup soy creamer (sub soy milk or half and half)
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vegan buttery spread, to grease your pan
- maple syrup
- Preheat your oven to 325.
- Mix together your flour and baking soda in a small bowl.
- In a medium sized bowl, add your coconut sugar, Earth Balance, egg, greek yogurt, almond milk and vanilla extract. Mix with an electric hand mixer or whisk vigorously.
- Add your flour mixture to the medium sized bowl, and mix everything together with a spoon until smooth.
- Grease your donut pan with oil, and spoon or pipe your batter evenly into the donut pan.
- Bake for 12-13 minutes.
- Take the donuts out and let them cool in the pan for 2-3 minutes.
- After 2-3 minutes, move the donuts to a wire rack and let them cool for 5-10 minutes.
- While the donuts are cooling, whisk together all of your french toast batter ingredients (excluding the Earth Balance) into a large bowl or cake pan.
- Soak your donuts in this mixture for 1 minute on each side.
- Heat a large skillet over medium low heat, and add 1 tablespoon of vegan buttery spread. Once it's bubbling, add in your donuts and cook on each side for 2-3 minutes (or until golden brown).
- Serve with cinnamon and maple syrup.
- EAT UP
WHAT? OMG. Red alert! Red alert! This is officially the best thing I’ve ever conceptualized and executed from my pretty little brain. OMG. Spongey, cakey donuts turned into french freaking toast. All the jazz hands and happy dances and cheering are happening over here and they should be happening at your house too. This is SRSLY (aka. seriously) MAJOR. Plus! It’s all health-ified! (That’s not to say we should eat it all the time, but it does have health-ier ingredients in it than most donuts or french toast.) SO LET’S EAT.
When I was a kid I used to eat those little frozen french toast sticks like every freaking morning for breakfast. I loved em. I would dip them in syrup and frolic off to school all hyped up on sugar and carbs. So this recipe feels like an homage to all that was good and pure in my childhood. The cakey texture of the donuts is the perfect backdrop to to the battered and pan fried goodness of french toast. It’s moist and sweet and filling and delicious. And since the donuts are baked, it like cancels out the fact that you basically fry them to turn ’em into french toast. That’s how food math works, right?
You wanna know what makes this “health-ier?” Well…
- There’s no refined sugar.
- There is very little dairy used, and the dairy that is used is greek yogurt (so it’s full of protein!)
- You can easily make this gluten-free!
Also it has eggs which have protein in them… so that’s kinda healthy… hahaha. Not really, but that’s okay. The no refined sugar thing is a big win, because if you buy a donut or french toast literally anywhere it’s guaranteed to have tons of refined sugar. So now you can have all the deliciousness and less of a sugar crash!
So when I tell you this is the best/my favorite recipe I’ve ever created you’ve got to believe me. It’s time to get in your kitchen and experience this for yourself. It’s not everyday that a baked donut french toast recipe happens. Go forth and conquer breakfast like the champion I know you are.