Carrot Cake Pancakes with Vanilla Cashew Cream
carrot cake pancakes:
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup carrot, finely grated
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup pineapple, finely diced or crushed and drained
- 1 cup non dairy milk
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
vanilla cashew cream:
- 1½ cups raw cashews, soaked in water for 6-8 hours or overnight
- ½ cup non dairy milk
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- maple syrup
- In a small bowl combine 1 cup nut milk and 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar. Stir the mixture and let sit for 5-10 minutes.
- While your milk and vinegar are setting, add all of your vanilla cashew cream ingredients to a high speed blender or food processor. Blend until smooth. Set aside.
- After 5-10 minutes, combine all pancake ingredients together in a large bowl. Mix until combined.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat, and spray with nonstick spray. Add 1/4 cup sized dollop of pancake mix to the skillet and cook until golden brown on each side. (About 2-3 min on each side.) Do this for all pancakes, until the batter is gone.
- Top pancakes with vanilla cashew cream and maple syrup.
- EAT UP!
Taste-wise this might be one of my favorite dishes ever. I’m serious about that. It’s like combining my overnight carrot cake oats and my vanilla cashew cream into one single breakfast-y goodness stack. INTO IT. My dad and I are both big fans of carrot cake. I always try to help him out by splitting a piece for dessert. It’s just common courtesy. He obviously needs my help anytime carrot cake is around. So I was a little bummed when he wasn’t around to try these when I made them the first time, dancing around my apartment, making absurdly loud grunting approval noises. But don’t worry – my dad and I already have a plan to make these this weekend when we hang out! That’s what I love about food. It brings people together over their mutual love of flavors, and you sustain your body and spirit at the same time.
To me the only kind of carrot cake that matters is the kind with pineapple and raisins. I think that a carrot cake without those elements is just sad. And we don’t want sad pancakes. NO SIR! We want the opposite. We want the happiest pancakes of all friggin’ time. And that’s what we have got. Carrots + pineapple + raisins + whole wheat + nut milk + cashew cream = a healthified breakfast PAR-TAY. My savory granola pancakes have got a run for their money on this one.
Here’s a little recipe note before I send you on your merry way… you might think that soaking your cashews prior to making the cream seems like a waste of time, and therefore you might make a huge mistake. You might decide to leave off the vanilla cashew cream. That would be a sad day. Because it’s the harmony of these two things that makes such an impression. The cashew cream is like a health-ier version of the cream cheese icing flavors you know so well with carrot cake, so without the cashew cream you just have cake without icing. And everyone knows cake is nothing without the icing. So for heaven’s sake JUST MAKE THE DANG CASHEW CREAM. Okay, rant over. Have a beautiful day in the neighborhood! And eat all the best pancakes (aka. these.)