Creamy Cashew Veggie Noodle Bowl
- 1 box brown rice noodles (sub rice noodles)
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 1/2 cups shitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup edamame
- 10 bok choy leaves
- 1 cup water
Creamy Cashew Sauce Ingredients
- 2 cans light coconut milk
- 2/3 cup cashew butter (sub almond butter)
- 2/3 cup liquid aminos (sub soy sauce)
- 2/3 cup honey (sub coconut nectar)
- 2 tablespoons miso paste
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- green onions
- sriracha (optional)
- In a large sauce pan or skillet add your broccoli, mushrooms, edamame, bok choy leaves, and water. Cover and heat over medium high heat for 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a blender combine all cashew sauce ingredients and blend until well incorporated.
- Transfer your sauce to a large pot and heat it over medium-high heat. Add in your noodles and cook for about 6-8 minutes before adding your veggies in and cooking for an additional 2 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Divide your noodle bowl into smaller bowls, top with cashews, chopped green onions, sriracha (if you want), and EAT UP.
I have a lot of inner turmoil about making Asian dishes. While I LOVE the food and the flavors, I have admittedly very little knowledge about heritage and regionalisms when it comes to Asian food. I would be hard pressed to tell you the difference between a cuisine that came from the north of China versus the south. And I haven’t traveled anywhere near the area. So a little southern girl from Georgia making Asian dishes feels a bit like cultural appropriation. But every once in a while I have to take a step back, forgive myself, and trust that while I don’t have a large cultural context – I do have a great brain for cultivating delicious recipes. So here you have an Asian inspired dish that is packed with some of my favorite flavors in the world. (Seriously, I could DRINK this sauce.)
So now that we my internal cultural angst out of the way, let’s talk about this Creamy Cashew Veggie Noodle Bowl!!! A while ago I made this incredible peanut free “peanut sauce” to dip spring rolls in. When I say incredible, I mean it. It’s only 5 ingredients and you can make it in a blender and you’ll want to die with it in your coffin. (Or something.) Anywhooo, I basically just traded the almond butter in that recipe for some cashew butter, added in some coconut milk and voila! A new noodle bowl sauce was born and it is ready to steal your heart! (Try not to lick the bowl. I dare you.)
The great part about the sauce being largely cashew butter based is that it already has tons of protein and healthy fats in it! So you don’t even need the meats or whatever. A veggie bowl with this sauce is gonna be FILLING. Like, to the brim. Like, to the max. So it’s uber healthy AND filling. AND only takes 20 minutes to make. I call that a win-win-win-win-win-wintimesamillion-win.