Customizable Nourishing Buckwheat Bowl
- 1 cup buckwheat groats
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- dash of salt
- 2 cup cooked buckwheat (sub quinoa, millet, brown rice)
- 2 cups dark leafy greens, packed (kale, spinach, collard greens, or swiss chard)
- 1/2 sweet onion, sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 eggs (sub tempeh, tofu, salmon)
- 1/2 cup pickled vegetables (sub kimchi or sauerkraut)
- 1/3 cup greek yogurt (sub coconut yogurt, soy yogurt, avocado)
- 1/4 cup spiced almonds
- hot sauce (optional)
- In a large pot, bring your vegetable broth and salt to a boil. Once boiling, add buckwheat groats, cover the pot and reduce heat to low.
- Let the buckwheat simmer for 20 minutes.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Once hot add coconut oil and sweet onion. Sauté for 5-7 minutes.
- When the onions become translucent, add in your dark leafy greens and sauté until the greens begin to wilt (2-3 minutes).
- Add in your buckwheat, chili powder, turmeric powder, salt and pepper. Mix until everything is heated and well combined. Divide mixture between 3-4 bowls.
- Top with pickled vegetables, greek yogurt, and spiced almonds.
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium-high heat and spray with oil. Crack your egg into the hot pan fry your egg to desired doneness, adding salt & pepper to taste.
- Top your bowl with your fried egg and a drizzle of hot sauce, if desired.
- EAT UP.
Here is what I have to say: THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST MEALS I’VE MADE, LIKE, EVER.
Yes, it has a lot of leeway to it. You can almost do anything you want with it. But if that scares you – keep it as is, and know that I have eaten this bowl at least 20 times. (All flavor testing, I swear…) BUT if it doesn’t scare you, and you HATE kale, or eggs, or whatever there are tons of ways to substitute those ingredients and still have an amazingly nourishing experience.
What exactly makes this an “nourishing” bowl? Well, it’s base is a gluten-free grain, and a dark leafy green. (So basically it’s healthy AF.) Then it’s spiced with turmeric, which is an anti-inflamitory and all around super spice. ALSO! You’ve got fermented vegetables on top, which will help you digest your food. AND AND! There’s tons of protein in there, to keep you full all day. It not only nourishes your body in a very powerful way by providing tons of vitamins and minerals, but your mouth will be blown away. This I swear. Like FO REAL.
This bowl is your oyster, but for good reason. You should never let healthy food scare you! There are always ways to substitute and make a meal that you will love to eat. Don’t run away from healthy food or the kitchen because it’s unfamiliar. The best things/meals are made by taking risks! Plus, I can’t stress to you how happy this will make your body. After I eat it I always feel like I can fly a plane or break dance or write a capstone essay (jk. I would never do that.) But the others sound fun. This bowl could even fuel you to run a marathon or just power nap. BOWLS FOREVAAAAAA.