Date Blueberry Bran Muffins
- 1 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/4 cup oat bran
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup medjool dates, chopped
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 cup non dairy milk
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 cup blueberries
- Preheat oven to 450.
- In a large bowl combine your whole wheat flour, oat bran, raisins, dates and baking powder.
- Add in your almond milk, egg, honey, and melted coconut oil. Mix until well combined.
- Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners, and divide the batter evenly into 12 muffin tins.
- Smooth out the top of the muffin with a spoon and press several blueberries into the top of each muffin.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Take out and let cool completely before peeling the muffin out of the cupcake liner and eating.
My parents have lived in the same house for 20 some odd years. It is the same house I grew up in. So every year before Christmas all the neighbors do the proper neighborly thing and overload each other with crappy sweets that generally end up getting thrown away. However, there is this man – this saint, I might call him – who makes something completely different for all of the neighbors. He makes bran muffins. And I have increasingly become obsessed with him (we’ll call him “The Muffin Man”), and his muffins. I think he is something close to 80 years old, I don’t actually know I’ve never met him. But needless to say The Muffin Man is my holiday hero. This past Christmas my mom got the recipe for his muffins and gave it to me, so I did what I always do… I took it and “health-ified” it. (Although, it was already very healthy.) And out came this amazing date blueberry bran muffin recipe. So, you can start to call me The Muffin Lady. Or whatever.
These muffins are filled with only good things – tons of fiber, healthy fats, antioxidants, natural sugars, and overall deliciousness. So these aren’t muffins that will give you muffin top, these are the muffins that will fuel your run or hike or bike ride or work day or dance class or spin class or life. They are hardy, and don’t leave you constantly wanting more sugar throughout the day. They are dense and delicious.
My favorite thing about these muffins is that there are literally chunks of deliciousness in every bite. All the dates and raisins just float around in each muffin creating amazing pockets of flavor. Which are complimented and reflected in the blueberry chunks that sit on top. If I were you, I’d grab a cup of good coffee, turn on a nice podcast, cut open a muffin and slather it with ghee or almond butter or whatever, and I’d sit and have the best morning of my life. Or if you’re super busy, just throw a muffin in your purse or briefcase or what have you and eat it on the go. Either way it’s a delicious muffin is guaranteed to make your day just a little bit yummier.