Deconstructed Sushi Salad with Crispy Asian Tofu
- 4-5 cups mixed greens (sub romaine or kale)
- 2 persian cucumber, sliced
- 3 radishes, chopped
- 1/2 cup edamame
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
Crispy Asian Tofu Ingredients:
- 1/2 block tofu, pressed and cubed
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil (sub olive oil)
- 4 tablespoons liquid aminos, divided (sub soy sauce)
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
Sweet Creamy Miso Dressing Ingredients:
- 1/3 cup nonfat greek yogurt (sub unsweetened soy or coconut yogurt)
- 1 tablespoon honey (sub agave nectar or coconut nectar)
- 1 tablespoon white miso
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- Green Onions
- Heat a skillet over high heat. Add your coconut oil, once the oil is hot add in your pressed & cubed tofu. Toss the tofu until it is golden on all sides and there is no residual oil in the pan.
- Once the oil is gone, add two tablespoons of amino acids into the pan and toss the tofu constantly until the amino acids are evaporated and the tofu is brown.
- Sprinkle your nutritional yeast over the tofu, and add your final two tablespoons of amino acids, toss until the nutritional yeast sicks to the tofu and the amino acids are evaporated. Turn the heat off and set the tofu aside.
- Assemble your salads by dividing the lettuce, cucumbers, radishes, edamame, and avocado into 3-4 bowls. Add in your tofu to each bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together all creamy miso dressing ingredients.
- Drizzle your dressing on each salad along with any other desired toppings like green onions or Sriracha.
- EAT UP
It’s that time of year. Can you feel it in the air? All those resolutions buzzing around in your head. All of those people crowding the gym. All of those green smoothies you plan to make. And usually, all of those moments when you feel guilt ridden failure because you came up short on your promises to yourself. Well this year I think we should resolve to do it differently. I think this year we should learn to celebrate health-ier. I didn’t say celebrate perfection. Or celebrate only when you live up to the ideal of health. I said that we should celebrate health-IER. Meaning, all of those tiny little choices we make on a daily basis. Like drinking water instead of a soda, or choosing to use coconut sugar instead of refined sugar in your cookie. Or even, trying to go meatless one or two days a week. Whatever it is, know that balance and moderation is key. We all fail at obtaining perfect health, because there is truly no such thing. What we can achieve is the journey to health.
So what does this salad have to do with your health-ier resolution? Well, here is a salad based on DELICIOUS ingredients, that also happen to be health-ier for you. So your body can be happy and healthy when you eat this crunchy, crispy, spicy and sweet burst of flavor. I’m not a fan of boring salads, and I like more toppings than lettuce usually. So this little number checks all of those boxes. Plus it will leave you feeling satisfied, instead of hangry five minutes after eating.
Let me break it down for you… this crispy asian tofu is literally my favorite way to cook tofu EVER. Seriously. It’s so easy to make and so full of flavor. I think you’re gonna end up putting it on everything. Because that’s what happened to me after I made it the first time. You will be addicted. Sorry, not sorry.
The other thing I’ll say about this salad is that the sweet creamy miso dressing is exactly what it sounds like – sweet and creamy. Think honey mustard, but miso flavored. Basically it’s amazing, and the sweetness compliments the saltiness of the tofu. And I HIGHLY RECOMMEND you add some Sriracha to the mix. Seriously, the small kick of spice makes all the difference. It adds that extra kick, and the salad is taken to a heavenly level.
So here’s to the new year, the same amazing you, and to celebrating our health-ier choices.