this post is sponsored by the california avocado commission. thank you for supporting the partnerships that allow brewing happiness to grow and exist. xoxo.
It’s grilling season and we’re not going to let the fact that we don’t own a grill stop us from celebrating. We used a grill pan to make this Delicious Grilled Tri-Tip with California Avocado Relish and we’re pretty dang pleased. This grilled tri-tip is marinated for one hour in a spiced coffee rub to make the most of your meat. It also features an avocado relish thanks to our friends at the California Avocado Commission.
The Delicious Grilled Tri-Tip with California Avocado Relish has a beautifully balanced flavor profile. The California avocado relish is fresh with parsley and basil, sweet with balsamic vinegar and honey, and creamy with olive oil and, of course, AVOCADO! All those flavors make it a perfect complement to the spiced coffee rub grilled tri-tip. If you’re not in the mood for Delicious Grilled Tri-Tip with your California Avocado Relish, you can essentially pair your avocado relish with any protein. We tried it out on chicken and it’s real good too, so pick your protein if you’re craving something specific and give it a try.
And just because we don’t have a grill on hand right now doesn’t mean we’ll leave you hanging if you do! Check out the steps below for options on how to make Delicious Grilled Tri-Tip with California Avocado Relish in both a grill pan AND on a grill.
- Tri-Tip Steak
- Olive oil
- Ground Clove
- Ground Cinnamon
- Ground Black Pepper
- Thyme Dry
- Ground Coriander
- Ground Fennel Seed
- Ground Espresso or Coffee of Choice
- Balsamic Vinegar
- White Wine Vinegar
- Chopped Sundried Tomatoes: Feel free to peruse our guide to the 11 Knife Cuts Everyone Should Know for all this chopping!
- Chopped Parsley
- Chopped Basil
- Ground Black Pepper
- Olive Oil
- Almonds Roasted, Chopped: To get these almonds roasted right, take a look at Why You’re Not Toasting Your Nuts Correctly .
- Rough Chopped California Avocado : Prep your avocado using our Avocado Basics: How to Cut, Peel, and Prep an Avocado , then brush up on a rough chop with the 11 Knife Cuts Everyone Should Know .
We’ll start with the spiced coffee rub for your grilled tri-tip. In a small bowl or ramekin, combine 1/8 teaspoon Clove (Ground), 1/8 teaspoon Cinnamon (Ground), 1/8 teaspoon Black Pepper (Ground), ¼ teaspoon Sumac, ½ teaspoon Thyme (Dry), ½ teaspoon Coriander (Ground), ½ teaspoon Fennel Seed (Ground), 2 teaspoons Ground Espresso (or the coffee of your choice), and 1 ½ teaspoons Salt. Give it a mix to get all those flavors beautifully blended together.
Now grab that 2 pound Tri-Tip Steak and coat with your Coffee Spice Rub. Sprinkle evenly over one side and rub it in, then flip the steak and repeat the process on side two. Don’t be afraid to use all that spice rub! It’s really gonna amp up the flavor of your grilled tri-tip.
After your steak is coated, cover and refrigerate for a minimum of 1 hour. You can do this a day in advance, but if you’re working ahead, be sure to store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Take a moment to preheat a grill pan or grill over medium high heat. If you’re using a grill pan instead of a grill, preheat your oven to 350 degrees as well. We don’t have access to a grill in our LA apartment, but we’ll take you through both cooking methods in case you do!
Let’s prep ingredients for the Avocado Relish! Grab 1 California Avocado and give it a rough chop. Next, chop 1 tablespoon Sundried Tomatoes, 1 tablespoon Basil, and 1 tablespoon Parsley.
Need a refresh on the difference between rough chopped and chopped? Check out the 11 Knife Cuts Everyone Should Know to get it right.
Make your delicious Avocado Relish! In a bowl, combine 1 tablespoon Honey, 1 tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar, ½ teaspoon White Wine Vinegar, 1 tablespoon Olive Oil, ¼ teaspoon Salt, and 1/8 teaspoon Black Pepper (Ground), then whisk it all together. Once whisked, add ¼ cup Almonds (Roasted & Chopped). Wanna get those roasted almonds right? Be sure to check out Why You’re Not Toasting Your Nuts Correctly.
Next add in your prepped Avocado Relish ingredients (the sundried tomatoes, parsley, and basil) and mix everything together. Don’t add your California-Grown Avocado just yet—you can wait until you’re ready to serve.
Feel free to prepare the rest of the avocado relish (minus the avocado) up to a few hours in advance. If you really want to get a head start, you can leave the fresh herbs out and prepare the wet ingredients and spices up to a day or two ahead of time as long as you store it all in an airtight container in the fridge.
Coat both sides of your soon-to-be grilled Tri-Tip Steak with about 1 tablespoon Olive Oil. That’s it for step four!
Cook your tri-tip!
If using a grill pan: Add your tri-tip to your preheated grill pan. Cook for 30 seconds, then turn at a 45 degree angle. Cook another 30 seconds, then flip. Repeat the process on the second side: cook for 30 seconds, turn the steak 45 degrees, and cook for another 30 seconds. From there, move your grill pan and steak into your 350 degree oven and cook until desired doneness.
If using a grill: The steps are the same to start. Place tri-tip on preheated grill. Cook for 30 seconds, then turn at a 45 degree angle. Cook another 30 seconds, then flip. Repeat the process on the second side: cook for 30 seconds, turn the steak 45 degrees, and cook for another 30 seconds. From there, turn the grill’s heat down to medium or medium low and cook to your desired doneness.
When your grilled tri-tip is done cooking, let it rest off of heat for five minutes before slicing. Once sliced, serve on a platter, top with avocado relish (you can add the avocado now that you’re ready to serve!), and ENJOY!
Can’t get enough of these California Avocados? We totally get it. Take a look at our California Avocado Glass Noodle Salad with Pork Chops and California Avocado Healthy Chicken Taquitos for a few more options to help you get your fix.
Delicious Grilled Tri-Tip with Avocado Relish
This Delicious Grilled Tri-Tip is coated in a coffee-spice rub and topped with a sweet-savory-crunchy-smooth Avocado Relish that everyone will love!
- 2 lb Tri-tip Steak
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- ⅛ tsp Clove Ground
- ⅛ tsp Cinnamon Ground
- ⅛ tsp Black Pepper Ground
- ¼ tsp Sumac
- ¼ tsp Thyme Dry
- ½ tsp Coriander Ground
- ½ tsp Fennel Seed Ground
- 2 tsp Ground Espresso or Coffee of Choice
- 1½ tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Honey
- 1 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- ½ tsp White Wine Vinegar
- 1 tbsp Sundried Tomatoes Chopped
- 1 tbsp Parsley Chopped
- 1 tbsp Basil Chopped
- ¼ tsp Salt
- ⅛ tsp Black Pepper Ground
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- ¼ cup Almonds Roasted, Chopped
- 1 California Avocado Rough Chopped
- Combine all the Spice Blend ingredients together in a bowl, mix to a uniform blend comes together.
- Coat the steak fully with the blend, refrigerate covered for a minimum of 1 hour, this can be done a day in advance, store refrigerated in an airtight container.
- Heat a grill pan or grill to medium high heat. If using a grill pan also heat an oven to 350℉.
- Combine all ingredients for the relish, except the avocado, together in a bowl until incorporated.
- This can be done a few hours in advance as well, even a day or two ahead, if you leave out the fresh herbs, and store airtight in the refrigerator. Pull out an hour ahead of use if you make this ahead.
- Add the avocado just before you’re ready to serve.
- Rub the oil on the steak just before cooking.
- Place the steak on the grill or pan, cook for 30 seconds, then turn 45 degrees, cook another 30 seconds. Flip the steak and repeat cooking this side the same as the other. If you’re using a pan, move it to the oven and cook until desired doneness.
- If using a grill, turn the heat down to medium, medium low, cover the grill and cook to desired temperature.
- When steak is done, allow to rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
- Slice and plate steak, topping with the finished relish, serve and enjoy!