"Falafel" Cauliflower Rice Bowl
Falafel Cauliflower Rice
- 1 small cauliflower head
- 1/2 cup chickpeas, drained
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup vegan mayo
- 1/2 cucumber, chopped
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 tablespoons dill, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- 1/2 cucumber, chopped
- 2-3 radish, chopped
- 4-8 baked shrimp (optional)
- Take your cauliflower head, cut off the leaves, chop it into quarters, and grate it into a bowl using the medium grates on a cheese grater. **
- Pat down the grated cauliflower with paper towel to remove some moisture.
- Heat a pan over medium heat with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and add in your diced onion. Sauté for 3-4 minutes, stirring often.
- Add in chickpeas and grated cauliflower and sauté for another 3-4 minutes, adding in lemon juice, parsley, garlic, cumin, salt, red pepper flakes, and pepper in the last 1-2 minutes. Once the cauliflower is slightly softened, it is ready! Set aside.
- In a blender add all of the creamy tzatziki ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Divide your falafel cauliflower rice between two bowls, top with desired toppings, and drizzle with creamy tzatziki.
- EAT UP!
*If you want to add baked shrimp, simply preheat your oven to 400. Toss your thawed shrimp with 1/2 tablespoon olive oil, a dash of salt, pepper, and coconut sugar. Evenly spread shrimp onto a nonstick baking sheet and bake for 6-8 minutes.
**Check out Minimalist Baker's instructions on cauliflower rice if anything confuses you.
Cauliflower rice is one of these newfangled food trends, and I’m sure to some of you it sounds dumb and/or gross. Well, I’m here to tell you, it’s actually pretty kewl. It’s WAYYYY easier to make than you think. And it makes a great low-carb meal. PLUS, it’s a fun way to sneak in ALL the veggies ever. To make it you basically just grate some cauliflower with a cheese grater until it makes small “rice-like” shapes. Then you sauté it and BOOM. Cauliflower rice. Now all you have to do from there is add some chickpeas and fun spices and you’ve got a full meal deal.
This bowl/salad thing feel is really light and refreshing and full of flavor. To me it just screams springtime. The crunch of the cucumber and radish is so fresh and perfect with the creaminess of the tzatziki. I highly suggest loading the avocado pile high on this one, ’cause it adds some nice flavor balance. As does the shrimp, if that’s something you’re into. DO IT TO IT FOLKS. Enjoy your not-quite-rice/not-quite-falafel experience. It’s a good one!