Health-ified Lemon Cream and Berries Waffles
Health-ified Lemon Cream:
- 1/2 cup meyer lemon juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 3 tablespoons non dairy milk
- 1 tablespoon vegan buttery spread
1 Bowl Fluffy Waffle Ingredients:
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour (sub gluten free all-purpose flour)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 cup non dairy milk
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- berries (ie. raspberries, strawberries, blueberries)
- powdered sugar
- Whisk together your lemon juice, water, coconut sugar, and corn starch in a pot.
- Transfer the pot to the stove and heat over medium heat, whisking continually until boiling.
- Once boiling, let sit for 1 minute without stirring. After 1 minute add in the nut milk and vegan buttery spread and whisk again.
- Transfer to a bowl or container, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 30 min - 1 hour before serving.
- When the lemon cream is ready, begin making your waffles. Heat a waffle iron over high heat while you mix the batter.
- Combine all waffle ingredients in a large bowl. Pour about 1 cup of batter into the waffle iron and allow to cook until golden and crispy on the outside. (About 2-3 minutes.)
- If desired, use a heart shaped cookie cutter to cut your waffles into hearts. Then top with lemon cream, berries, and powdered sugar! EAT UP.
Since I don’t have a boyf this year, I thought you all could be my Valentine. I mean, I already think about you all the time. And I already try to figure out what you do and don’t like to eat. I already make food for you. I already think you’re really awesome and smart and cool just for visiting my site. And so I basically am already in love with all of you – so WILL YOU BE MY VALENTINE?!? Please say yes, or else I made these delicious waffles for nothing.
Okay cool. Now that you’re my bae. Let’s talk about these waffles that I made you. You see, one of my favorite places to eat in Orange County is Bruxie. It’s a gourmet waffle sandwich place that I’m obsessed with. They have the BEST waffle fries I’ve ever had. Honest. And they also have this lemon cream & berries waffle that I used to eat WAYYYY too much. But now I am across the country from that magical place, so I decided to make my own version. It’s every bit as sweet, and bitter, and fresh, and fruity as the original but this one is just a smidge healthier.
It’s health-ier because my waffles are both egg and dairy free (plus you only need one bowl to make them.) And GUESS WHAT?!? So is the lemon cream! No eggs. No dairy. Not even any refined sugar! In fact the lemon cream is even made with coconut sugar instead of refined sugar (that’s why it’s caramel in color). Therefore, it’s actually light and refreshing and delicious. Basically it’s the perfect way to start of a day of loving your lover.
The waffles don’t have sweetener in them at all, because the lemon cream is sweet enough for the whole shebang. So you’ve got a soft, fluffy waffle. A creamy layer of lemon cream, topped with delicious fresh berries and dusted with powdered sugar if you so choose. I want to wake up to this everyday of my life. So no matter if you have a lover or if you get to love yourself this Valentines Day, these are a perfect way to celebrate!
So happy Valentines Day, bae. ILY 4ever. Oh! And I almost forgot, I got you some virtual presents…
LUH YOU BAE. BYE.