Sweet, spicy and everything nice-y for you summer salad cravings.
Honey Roasted Carrot, Endive and Fig Summer Salad
- 1 bag of lettuce, any
- 5 large rainbow carrots (sub regular carrots)
- 3 Belgian endives
- 4 large green figs (sub purple figs)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 tablespoon honey (sub agave nectar or coconut nectar)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
Health-ified Honey Mustard Ingredients
- 1/4 cup greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon stone ground mustard (sub yellow mustard)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey (sub agave nectar or coconut nectar)
- crushed nuts ie. pistachios, almonds, walnuts etc.
- fish tuna, seabass, shrimp, etc.
- fried egg
- hemp seeds
- ANYTHING YOUR HEART DESIRES!
- Preheat your oven to 350.
- Slice your carrots and endives into halves, straight down the middle. Slice your figs into quarters, either leaving the bottoms attached (making a flower shape) or slice into 4 separate pieces.
- Toss everything in with your coconut oil, honey, salt, chili flakes, garlic powder, and pepper.
- Place the carrots onto a baking tray, and bake for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, toss the carrots and add the endives and figs to the tray and bake for another 12 minutes.
- While your fruits and veggies are roasting, mix together your health-ified honey mustard ingredients in a small bowl until well combined.
- In a large bowl add your bag of desired lettuce, top with your roasted carrots, endives, and figs. Drizzle with a layer of health-ified honey mustard. Add any additional toppings your heart desires.
- EAT UP.
It’s summer, and so all of the best fruits and veggies are in season like… FIGS. WOO. They just appeared in my grocery store and I jumped for joy. I love how sweet they are, and how well they pair with savory flavors. So as much as I like them in the morning with my yogurt and granola and a drizzle of honey – I also love them in a lunch salad. And I know that turning on the oven in the summer can sound awful (especially when you don’t have AC like me), BUT I can promise that the depth of flavor and texture you can achieve will be worth it.
They honey is going to give your carrots, endives, and figs a nice glaze and sweetness, but when you combine that with the spiciness of chili flakes, and the savory notes of garlic everything truly comes to life. Your mouth will thank you. Plus this way you are getting some delicious veggies that will fill you up without feeling gross – which is basically the goal of all summer meals if you ask me. It’s too hot to feel that full. Ya feel me? BUT if you do want some extra protein on top try adding some seared fish, or shrimp, or crushed up nuts, or even just hemp nut seeds. All of those will do a body and a salad good.
- It keeps it light – replacing mayo with greek yogurt makes it a fresh version of what you are used to.
- The tang of the mustard contrasts and pairs so well with the honey notes that are buzzing all over this salad and all in your mouth.
- Honey mustard is the best sauce ever created. Duh.