Iced Beauty Latte
- 1/2 cup coffee, brewed to your liking
- 2/3 cup non dairy milk
- 1 tablespoon collagen powder, optional
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Add all ingredients into a blender.
Blend on high until frothy and well blended.
Pour over ice.
I am of the Pinterest generation. I am also a very visual person. Therefore, I have created a life that centers around *beauty.* Yes, in some ways I admit that this can center around a physical beauty, and that can get unhealthy at times. I have to regularly check myself on that one. But other times I think it can be an extremely beneficial thing. It helps me create a beautiful life, surround myself with beautiful things, and then step back and admire their beauty. It helps me keep my apartment clean, because I like to look at it’s beauty sans mess.
All of this outward focus on beauty might seem a little hypocritical for a girl who just gave you the recipe for an “iced beauty latte,” but I think of it as more of an opening into a discussion of what other versions or definitions of beauty are. Sure, take care of yourself. Make yourself beautiful with makeup or clothes or collagen powder or whatever – if you want. But I also want to remind you of the other things in this world that are beautiful. Things that have nothing to do with your face or your hair or your body.
This is my list of beautiful things, maybe you should make your own. (Or you can steal mine. That’s cool too.)
- The way the sun glitters.
- The way everyone has a different laugh.
- When you compliment a stranger and see their face light up.
- The way plants grow.
- When someone you love comforts you.
- The way coffee tastes first thing in the morning.
- The color gold.
- A reflection on still water.
- The way snow looks as it’s falling.
- The way that everyone looks gross after a hard workout.
- Well plated food, full of colorful veggies.
- My grandmother.
- My mother.
- My sister.
- My heart, on the best of days.
- The way the highway looks on a road trip.
- When music makes you cry.
- Well lit photographs.
- Awkward interactions with strangers.
- The way people look in glasses.
- The sound of your voice on the phone when it’s been a while.
- The first day of spring.
- The feeling when you get inspired by a new idea.
It’s not a complete list. But it’s a good start. It’s a reminder of all of the things around me that I find beautiful. All of the things that have nothing to do with my physical body. And isn’t that a relief? Even on the days when you feel “ugly” or “less than” the world still has beauty waiting for you. Go forth and find it.