I’m just not a tequila girl. In fact, I have a strong gag reflex against it. So when everyone wants to order a pitcher of margaritas, I sit in the corner and drink a crappy light beer or water or something.
Margaritas are a communal thing. They bring people together. So I always feel left out when I go to Mexican restaurants with friends.
After some pondering, I realized that the other drink that brings friends together just as much as margaritas is mimosas. I mean who doesn’t love a bottomless mimosa situation at brunch? Right there an idea was born. Why don’t I combine the two into something magical and delicious that EVERYONE will love?
The recipe is super simple and SO FRESH – a little lime juice, a little orange juice, some agave, champagne, and a salted rim! SO DANG YUM.
Plus these are health-ier than margaritas, because the usual triple sec is replaced with fresh oj, the tequila is replaced with agave, and the hard liquor is replaced with champagne. (Also, using coconut sugar instead of refined sugar on the rim is a healthy alternative!) So I think we should sit around a table for brunch or lunch or (heck!) even dinner – munch on chips and dip – and order a pitcher of margarita mimosas! xo.
- 1 cup lime juice
- 1 cup orange juice
- 6 tablespoons agave nectar
- 1 bottle dry champagne
for the rim
- 1 part salt + 1 part coconut sugar
- lime juice
- slice of lime
- In a large cup, jar or pitcher combine your lime juice, orange juice and agave nectar by stirring or shaking the mixture together.
- In a small bowl mix together salt and coconut sugar (a few tablespoons of each). Take your champagne flutes, and coat the rim with lime juice. Dip the flutes into the salt/sugar mixture.
- Fill each flute about 1/3 full with your lime/orange/agave juice. Top the glass off with champagne.
Garnish with a lime/orange slices and DRINK UP!
Every year for Cinco De Mayo my friend Kate of Hola! Jalapeno hosts a week called Margarita Week. It’s a time where all of the blogging internet unites to create some delicious margarita inspired recipes. You have everything from festive traditional margaritas, to desserts, to mocktails, to margarita mimosas!
I thought I’d highlight some of my favorite healthy-ish recipes that my friends have created for this week, so you can have tons of ideas for your weekend plans.
- Rose Margaritas from Wood and Spoon
- Strawberry Champagne Margaritas from Foolproof Living
- Pineapple Vanilla Bean Margaritas from Hungry Girl Por Vida
- Naturally Sweetened Sparkling Ginger Margarita from With Food + Love
No matter if you’re a tequila person or not, Margarita week is for you! It’s a celebration of all that is good in the world. So maybe you start your Cinco De Mayo off with a pitcher of Margarita Mimosas (take a nap) and then head into the real thing. The choices are endless here.
Stay happy and healthy! xo.