This post was sponsored by Harvest Snaps. Thank you for supporting the partnerships that allow Brewing Happiness to grow and exist. xoxo.
RECIPE UPDATED AS OF 12/21/16
Mushroom Onion Thyme Veggie Meatballs with Spaghetti Squash Pasta
- 1 spaghetti squash
- marinara sauce of choice
Mushroom Onion Thyme Veggie Meatballs:
- 1 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup baby bella mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup canned white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese (sub vegan parmesan cheese)
- 3 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1 egg
- 1 bag Harvest Snaps Onion Thyme, crushed
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cut open your spaghetti squash, scoop out the seeds, place each half face down in a baking tray and fill the bottom with water just enough to cover. Bake for 50-60 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add your onion, mushrooms and white beans to a blender or food processor and blend until well mixed but with a slightly chunky texture.
- Pour this blended mixture into a bowl and add thyme, salt, basil, oregano, garlic powder, pepper, red pepper flakes, parmesan cheese, tomato paste. Mix well.
- Finally, fold in your egg and crushed Harvest Snaps Onion Thyme until everything is well mixed.
- On a parchment paper lined baking tray, roll 6-8 meatball shapes. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Once your spaghetti squash is done baking, use a fork to scrape the insides out into a large bowl. Toss squash with 1 cup of your favorite marinara sauce. Divide your squash between 2-4 bowls or serve it in the squash shell!
- Top with extra marinara sauce, veggie meatballs, and fresh thyme!
- EAT UP!
Even when I was a kid and did eat all the red meats, I never was a big fan of meatballs. I don’t know, something about them was just off putting. But now, I’m sort of obsessed with the idea of a veggie meatball. Mostly because it’s a way to get a more hearty vegetarian meal, but also because it’s a way to sneak extra veggies into your diet. And when you trade out your spaghetti noodles for squash noodles it’s like a vegetable explosion in a bowl!
Plus can we talk about how dope it is that this meal is gluten-free? Honestly, I didn’t actually try to make it gluten-free, but it just naturally is. The Harvest Snaps and flaxseed meal combo replaced any glutinous flour that might have been in them, leaving a super health-ified “meatball.” Cause guess what??? Those Snaps are actually made out of LENTILS! Plus they add tons of unique flavoring to your veggie meatballs.
I mean, you can’t exactly Lady and the Tramp style eat this pasta with your lover, but you can make it on Monday and eat it everyday for lunch. Or you can have it for family dinner on Meatless Monday or something. OR you can serve it to your date and impress the heck out of them with your cooking skills. ‘Cause, I mean, who doesn’t like pasta? (If you don’t like pasta, it’s okay. I still accept you.)
So eat some veggies. In fact, eat ALL THE VEGGIES. Put em into a meatball, use them as noodles, put them in your mouth, do a happy dance, and thank me later. BONE APPLE TEA.