Nutty Chai-Spiced Banana Bread
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (sub gluten free all purpose flour)
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon xanthum gum
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon all spice
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup macadamia nuts*
- 1/4 cup walnuts*
- 1/4 cup cashews*
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas, about 3 bananas**
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 4 tablespoons non dairy milk
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 slightly ripe banana
- extra pecans
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Mix together all of your dry ingredients (except the nuts), in a large bowl.
- Add in all of your wet ingredients, and mix until everything is incorporated (but don't over mix!)
- Add in your nuts, and mix.
- Spoon your batter into a greased loaf pan.
- Smooth out the top.
- Slice a yellow banana down the middle and place on top of your loaf, add pecan sprinkles if you want.
- Put the loaf in the oven and bake for 40 minutes.
- After 40 minutes, take the loaf out and let it cool IN THE LOAF PAN for 20 minutes.***
- Take out of the pan, slice and DEVOUR.
*You can sub almost any nut you want into this recipe (ie. pecans, almonds, pistachios, etc.) Sky's the limit.
**If your bananas aren't fully ripe you can bake them at 350 for about 7 minutes. The outside will be black, but the inside will be nice and soft!
***Yes. You MUST wait 20 minutes. It is essential.
I’ll admit, I’m not much of a baker. Mostly because I’m not a very exact person when it comes to cooking. Plus, mastering the whole “health-ified” baking thing is a challenge. But this time I SUCCEEDED. I succeeded big time. Now you might be thinking, “Haley, what does the chai spice do to the taste of the banana bread?” Well, let me tell you… Imagine that a moist banana bread loaf mixed with a pillowy soft gingerbread man – and that is what this loaf tastes like. YEAH, IT’S THAT GOOD.
It actually is soft and moist, but not fudgy or gooey. SO MANY GOOD THINGS HAPPENED HERE. I made this loaf twice (just to perfect it for you), and both loaves got eaten in 1 day flat. (No I did not eat them both myself… but I sure did help. haha). All I’m saying is that you don’t have to look any further for the perfect health-ified banana bread. Plus it’s easy – just one bowl is needed! WOO.
Okay so let’s talk about what ingredients I put into this loaf to make magic. I’ll start with the dry ingredients…
ALL PURPOSE FLOUR
I understand that xanthum gum is a debated ingredient, and for a long time it seemed expensive and worthless to me. So I didn’t buy it. But since I gave in and spent the money on it, my gluten-free baking as been elevated to a whole new level. It’s a great binder. You need it. So just give in. Just buy it. Because you’re worth it.
Hokay now let’s discuss the wet ingredients, we’ve got…
MASHED RIPE BANANAS
MELTED COCONUT OIL
BOOM. So as you can see, nothing is really that bad in this baby. Sure, you have some natural sugar from the coconut palm sugar and the bananas, you’ve got carbs from the flour and bananas, and you’ve got fat from the coconut oil and nuts. But if that’s the worst you get in a decadent dessert, then you are wayyyy ahead of the game. So go ahead, enjoy your loaf with butter, or even some almond butter and banana slices as a breakfast option. The possibilities are ENDLESS. Have fun. It’s allowed.