this post is sponsored by GoodBelly. thank you for supporting the partnerships that allow brewing happiness to grow and exist. xoxo.
I’m a big fan of probiotics in the morning. It’s a great way to get your system going and start the day right. That’s not even to mention the fact that they can aid in digestion and help to create a healthy gut environment.
Why is having a healthy gut important you ask? Well, since 95% of your body’s serotonin is found in your gut, I’d say it matters a lot to your overall happiness. And since I’m all about the health + happiness connection, I thought it would be helpful for me to give you a probiotic-rich drink that you can start your morning with.
If probiotics are new to you, and you don’t know what I’m talking about. That’s totally okay! (But you should start incorporating them into your world.) Foods like yogurt, kimchi, sauerkraut, apple cider vinegar and drinks like kombucha and GoodBelly juice drinks are packed with probiotics.
I used GoodBelly’s Probiotic Coconut Water, combined with chai concentrate and maple syrup to make this lovely little drink. It’s a delicious and good for you way to start the morning!
If you want to get into taking probiotics daily, then you are in luck! Goodbelly is doing a 12 Day Reboot that starts on the 15th (I’m participating!) and you can sign up to get a coupon to start you off. It’s a great way to test the water and see how you feel. I think you’ll love it.
Probiotic Coconut Chai
This probiotic coconut chai made with Goodbelly Coconut Water, unsweetened chai concentrate, and maple syrup is the perfect drink to get your day going!
- 1 cup Goodbelly Probiotic Coconut Water
- 1/4 cup unsweetened chai concentrate
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- creamer, to taste (optional)
Add all ingredients to a glass, with or without ice, and stir.
Let’s talk about how to have a health-ier morning routine.
I’ve already given you a very scientific method for making your morning happier.
But healthy is different than happy. (Or is it? That’s a talk for another day.) At least for now I’ll differentiate between the two. So let’s talk about some tips to help you wake up, seize the day and remain healthy.
- Wake up with an alarm clock instead of your phone. Seriously, buy an old school alarm clock and stay off your phone for the first hour you are awake. It will help you wake up. It will help you be a better human. I learned this from my #30ScreenlessNights project. It will change your life.
- Eat healthy fats + protein. Make eggs or avocado toast or both. Fuel your body with the good stuff and it will thank you all day long.
- Eat BEFORE you drink caffeine. It’s one of my top recommendations for the at-home two day cleanse I created, and it’s one of my top tips for life. It will help stabilize your blood sugar so that it doesn’t spike when the caffeine hits your system. You’ll feel less jittery and more balanced. Just do it.
- PROBIOTICS. I don’t care if you drink this Probiotic Coconut Chai or make your own concoction, just make it probiotic-rich. This will help to make your body regular, as well as keep your gut happy. (And the happier your gut is, the more nutrients it can soak in.)
- Take time for your heart. Meditate, breathe, write in a journal, dance around your kitchen. I don’t care what you do. Just take 10-15 minutes in the morning to make space for your own heart. It’s the only one you get, so you gotta protect it and carve out space for it.
The morning sets the tone for the rest of the day. It is a roadmap for who we will be that day and the kinds of choices we will make. So why not take some time to focus on your personal health + happiness? You deserve at least that.
If you’re like me, you wake up with a to-do list running through your head and it’s hard not to dive into your emails and “start the day” right away. It feels productive. But the other side to that coin is a day devoid of self-care of self-empathy.
The healthiest way to start your day is by taking time to focus on your personal health – mental, spiritual, physical. I don’t care if you’re a morning person or not. Take your morning. Make it yours. Make it happier. Make it healthier.
You deserve that. xo.