Salted Date Caramel Sauce
- 1 cup medjool dates, pitted and packed
- 2 cups non dairy milk (sub skim)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Before pitting the dates, allow them to sit in a big bowl of hot water for 5 minutes. This will make them easy to pit.
- Add all of your pitted dates, non dairy milk, vanilla extract, and salt to a blender.
- Blend until very smooth.
- Pour the caramel into a pot heated over low for 5-10 minutes.
- Once the caramel is warm pour it over anything you want (ie. ice cream, brownies, cake, etc.)
- EAT UP!
If you’re in the health/food world this probably isn’t a revolutionary recipe to you. BUT if you aren’t in that world, and this is something you’ve never tried – OMG JUST DO IT. Firstly, dates are so delicious and sweet and perfect. And secondly, they magically turn into the perfect caramel-like sauce with just a few ingredients. So you can do this in place of caramel sauce on ice cream, or brownies, or cake or whatever you want! You can even dip apple slices in it if that’s your jam.
If you like caramel, I promise you’ll like it. It’s not an exact 1 to 1 match with the texture of caramel, but it’s nice to have a healthier alternative when you’re craving dat caramel sauce. YA FEEL ME?
I’ve used this sauce in TONS of recipes on this site. For example, I used it in my Healthy Chocolate Cake, Twix Pudding Parfait, and Savory Granola Pancakes recipes. (You should check those out.) It’s also a recipe that you can be sort of creative with. If you want it to be thicker, like the filling for my chocolate cake, use less milk. Or if you like it to be thinner, creamier leave it as is. It’s your world, do as you please.
And now here are my favorite things that I read/saw/listened to this week…
- This recipe for SINGLE. SERVE. CUPCAKES. boom. (Maybe pour some caramel sauce on top?)
- These mesmerizing videos of rainbow lattes.
- I cried laughing at this video. It’s a LOT.
- Oh AND I finally got a new phone with a working camera, so I’m back on SNAPCHAT. (brewinghappines) So that’s exciting.
That’s all. Hopefully I’ll have more next week, but in the mean time have a beautiful week and eat all the date caramel sauce your heart desires!