Smokey "Cheese" Sauce
A smokey "cheese" sauce made from... SWEET POTATOES! This vegan version tastes even better than the real thing and it's perfect for pretzels or nachos.
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 3/4 cup non dairy milk
- 3/4 cup nutrional yeast
- 3 tablespoons mustard
- 2 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 teaspoon salt
Peel your potatoes and chop into cubes.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil over hight heat. Once boiling reduce heat to medium-low, add in your potatoes, and cover. Cook for 15-20 minutes, or until fork tender.
When potatoes are tender, drain the water and let cool for a few minutes before adding them to a high speed blender.
Add all other ingredients to the blender and blend until very smooth. The speed of the blender should heat the sauce, but if not you can pop it in the microwave for 30-60 seconds before serving.
Serve with : pretzels, nachos, french fries, mac 'n cheese or anything else you can think up!
My dad really loves a good soft pretzel. Like, he REALLY loves them. So I set out to make a health-ier sauce to pair with them, since it’s Father’s Day and all. (Consider this my gift, Dad. I love you.) I’ve had really good cheese dips at restaurants, but none of them left me feeling any less than icky. I mean, they are friggin’ delicious in the moment, but they will always come back to bite you in the butt. So I took sweet potatoes and transformed them into something really delicious. This should always have always been their destiny. I mean where else do you get cheesy, sweet, smokey, and briney flavors all in a “health-ified” package?!? NOWHERE. That’s where.
So now that we have the sauce out of the way, let’s talk about some things you’ll love. In light of everything that happened in the world this week, I think it’s especially important to focus on the lovely, good things that are still happening. It’s important to continue to love, laugh, live, and grieve. So here is a weekly dose of happiness. I hope these things bring you some joy…
- Comfort dogs came to Orlando to provide unconditional love to the victims and their families.
- Stephen Colbert said some really beautiful words about the shootings in Orlando.
- Lin Manuel-Miranda (star and creator of Hamilton the Musical) gave an incredibly moving Tony Award acceptance speech and reminded us all that “Love is love is love is love.”
- On a lighter note… I read this fascinating interview with professional hand models. I mean, the article is called “Hand Jobs” so obviously you want to read it too.
- Bon Appetit shared some secrets of their food stylists, and it made me really glad that I don’t photograph turkey often.
- I decided to do a dramatic reading of the song “Cake” by Trey Songs to seduce an actual piece of cake.
- Season two of Unreal and Casual started recently, and if you haven’t watched either DO IT NOW. They are incredibly well acted. Like, award worthy performances.
- You should also watch the videos that Green Kitchen Stories has been making to promote their new cookbook. Gosh, they are beautiful.
Strength and Sunshine says
O I love that you kept it nut free but all about the potatoes nooch and mustard!
thanks, my dear! I just wanted to keep it as simple and delicious as I could!