Spicy Egg and Mushroom Wrap (aka. The Hangover Cure)
- 2 whole wheat lavash wraps (sub regular tortillas)
- 4 eggs
- 1 portobello mushroom, sliced into thin strips
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce (sub liquid aminos)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons liquid smoke
- 1 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 cup arugula (sub spinach)
- pickled jalapenos
- 3 slices provolone cheese
- 1/3 cup vegan mayo
- 1/2 teaspoon Sriracha
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- Preheat your oven to 350.
- In a small bowl mix together soy sauce, liquid smoke and maple syrup.
- Lay your sliced portobello mushroom flat on a greased baking sheet, and pour the soy sauce mixture over it.
- Bake the mushrooms for 20 minutes, flipping halfway.
- While your mushroom is baking, prep the rest of the wrap by mixing together your vegan mayo, Sriracha, and honey in a small bowl and setting aside.
- Then, heat a greased skillet over medium-low heat. Crack your eggs in a bowl, and whisk them together until they are solid yellow.
- Pour your eggs into the greased skillet, season with salt and pepper to taste, and wait until the entire bottom of your egg is solid. Flip the eggs over, trying to keep it all in one solid circle and cook for a few more seconds. Take off heat and set aside.
- Now you are ready to assemble! Spread a layer of spicy mayo over 1/2 of each wrap. Add 1 1/2 slices of provolone to each wrap (making sure some of the cheese lines up with the edge of the wrap - this will help it stick together when you grill it!) Top each wrap with equal arugula and mushroom slices.
- Slice your egg circle into two semi circles, then fold those in half, and place your eggs in the center of each wrap. Top with pickled jalapenos, and fold the wrap together, making sure your cheesy edge is on the outside. (You might want to use a toothpick to keep if from opening.)
- Heat a grill pan (or regular pan) over medium-high heat. Grill each wrap for 1-2 minutes on each side.
- Slice your wraps in half and serve!
- EAT UP.
Immediately after making this recipe I texted one of my friends and said, “I might have just made my best meal ever.” Admittedly, I tend to have short sighted memory, and I forget about a lot of the recipes I’ve developed until I look through my site. And obviously, I like all of my recipes. But this one is special. The combo of flavors, the cheesiness, the spiciness, it’s just magic. It’s my perfect breakfast wrap. So hopefully it also speaks to your food soul.
Here’s the reason I call it a “hangover cure wrap”… you know those health websites that are like, “Hungover? Drink a green juice and eat some avocado toast! Then do some yoga, hike a mountain, and meditate for 5 hours – you’ll feel great! Just don’t forget to HYRATE.” Okay, yeah. NO. I’d rather not.
I don’t really drink excessively enough that hangovers happen often. It’s a once in a blue moon thing, but I can tell you one thing… when I’m hungover I don’t want your freaking avocado toast. I want carbs and a smidge of grease. I want eggs. Now, that’s not to say you couldn’t add avocado to this wrap OR sub avocado for the eggs if you aren’t into the egg thing. That’s totally cool. I just wanted to make a wrap that tasted delicious, was healthy-ish, and helped restore your body in a practical way. Also, the 4th of July happened and I know you might need this. (Thank me later.)