Why eat a normal burger when you can have a fiesta in your mouth instead?
Spicy Mexican Burger
- 4 slices bread, any kind
- 2 meatless burger patties
- butter lettuce
- 1 cup vegetarian refried black beans
- 1 cup pico de gallo
- 2-4 tablespoons of mango hot sauce
- 1/4 cup pickled jalapeños
Pico de gallo Ingredients
- 1 large tomato, diced into 1" cubes
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1/8 cup cilantro, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
Mango Hot Sauce Ingredients
- 1 large mango
- 1 tablespoon garlic chili sauce (sub Sriracha)
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
Pickled Jalapenos Ingredients
- 4 jalapenos, de-seeded and sliced into rounds
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- melted cheese
- sour cream (sub greek yogurt)
Pickled Jalapeno Instructions:
- Boil your water, vinegar, coconut sugar, salt, pepper, and turmeric.
- Once boiling add in your jalapenos, and take off heat to let sit for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, move the jalapenos and liquid to a sterile jar and refrigerate for 6-24 hours before using. (The less you let them refrigerate, the spicier they will be.)
Mango Hot Sauce Instructions:
- Blend together all ingredients in a blender or food processor.
- Once smooth, transfer to a container and refrigerate until you want to use it.
Pico de Gallo Instructions:
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Mix and set aside.
Spicy Mexican Burger Instructions:
- Heat a skillet over medium heat with 1 teaspoon oil (I used coconut oil.) Add your meatless patty and cook on each side for 3-5 minutes, or until brown and heated in the center.
- Layer on piece of bread with lettuce, a patty, 1/2 cup refried beans, 1/2 cup pico de gallo, 1-2 tablespoons of mango hot sauce, and top with pickled jalapenos.
- Add any optional toppings you want, top with a second slice of bread and EAT UP.
Yes. I know this burger is unlike anything you have eaten before. BUT think about it like this… you have bread, a “burger” patty, lettuce, tomato (in the form of pico de gallo), then plus some spicy fun things like hot sauce and pickled jalapenos. And then let’s talk about the REFRIED BEANS on this burger. WOAH. It’s flavor. It’s protein. It’s a creamy texture that won’t leave you asking for more. It’s all you’ve ever wanted.
If spicy really isn’t your thing thing about switching up the ingredients and adding some cheese or “sour cream” of some sort to add a layer of dairy that will cut the spice. OR get REAL creative up in hurr and add an egg on top, or even a layer of avocado. Change it up. Do what you love. Eat what you love.
The pickled jalapenos are a bit of a forethought to the recipe. But I promise they are worth it. And you’ll have extra, so you can keep them in your fridge and use them to top your Spicy Meatless Chorizo Tacos taco or your breakfast burrito or even your nachos. Very, very worth it. Perhaps, all the worth it ever.