Strawberries and Cream Dessert Grilled Cheese
- 6-8 slices challah bread
- 1/2 cup vegan buttery spread
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups strawberries, sliced
Coconut Mascarpone Cream
- 4 oz mascarpone
- 1/2 can coconut cream, refrigerated overnight (sub full fat coconut milk if necessary)
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey (sub agave nectar or coconut nectar)
Strawberry Chia Jam
- 2 cups strawberries, chopped
- 1 cup Medjool dates, pitted
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- Open and drain the liquid from your refrigerated coconut cream can, scoop out half of the "meat" and add it to a large mixing bowl. Add all other coconut mascarpone cream ingredients to the bowl, and mix with a hand or standing mixer until smooth. Move to fridge until ready to use.
- Add your strawberries and dates to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Stir in chia seeds and refrigerate until ready to use. (It's best to make this the night before, but it still works making it minutes before, the chia seeds will just be less incorporated.)
- In a small bowl mix together your non dairy butter, coconut sugar and cinnamon until well combined.
- Spread the cinnamon sugar butter onto one side of each slice of bread.
- Layer the inside with strawberry chia jam, coconut mascarpone cream, and fresh strawberries.
- Heat a skillet over medium high heat. Cook each side for 30 seconds - 1 minute.
- EAT UP
Sometimes it’s just necessary to “over-indulge” a little. Treat ourself to something special just because we are special. So you’ve had a hard week, or you’re celebrating something special, or you feel so overwhelmed you want to cry and in walks this DESSERT GRILLED CHEESE. Woah, that could be a game changer. I’ve layered strawberry chia jam with coconut mascarpone cream together with fresh strawberries in between challah bread, smattered with cinnamon sugar butter. Oh yeah, I said it.
So basically this is a messy, sweet, fruity, and delicious grilled cheese you can eat for dessert. (Or just make dessert into dinner.) I won’t tell your Mom. You deserve this and everything more. You deserve all the good things in life. You deserve DESSERT GRILLED CHEESE. Kbye.