Sweet Onion Dressing
- 2 sweet onions, about 3 cups, diced
- 1 leek, about 1 heaping cup, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup unsweetened non dairy milk
- 2 tablespoons coconut nectar (sub agave nectar or honey)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
Heat a large skillet over med-low heat. Add olive oil, onions, and leek. Sauté on low for 30 minutes, tossing occasionally.
After 30 minutes, add the salt and pepper to the pan and stir.
Take the contents of the skillet and transfer them to a blender (preferably a high speed one.)
Add the coconut nectar, non dairy milk, and apple cider vinegar.
Blend on high until smooth.
Let cool in refrigerator for at least 20 minutes before using.
Serve on salads, slaw or burgers!
Here in Georgia the summer is full of Vidalia onions. If you’ve never heard of a Vidalia onion, it is a sweet onion that comes from Vidalia, Georgia. It’s like the ultimate sweet onion. Super sweet, super delicious. So if you can find a Vidalia onion at the grocery store, MAKE THIS DRESSING WITH THOSE. If you can’t, a regular ‘ole sweet onion will do.
I love this dressing because it’s so naturally sweet and delicious, but also has that unmistakable caramelized taste that onions and leeks get when sautéed. It’s truly such a crowd pleaser, especially in the warmer months. I like to use it on salads, slaw, or even burgers! (I’m also tempted to just drink it at times, but I restrain.) So see what creative ways you can come up with to utilize all the best ingredients of summer! ENJOY.
Now comes the part of Saucy Sunday where I share all of my favorite things of the week, in hopes that we all can enjoy a laugh or an idea together. With each passing day in this world, it’s becoming more and more important to laugh a little and to remember the thing we love. Hold those things close. There is still good in the world. So here are my list of things I loved this week…
- JUST LISTEN TO THIS SONG. It will make you dance, and feel good, and it’s just all around a freakin’ jam.
- If you were ever a fan of High School Musical, you MUST watch this video. I cried laughing.
- I loved watching Edgy Veg collab with Nikki Limo in this video!
- This article from Bon Appetit was both interesting and frightening. Who knew food had changed that much???
- OH AND this article from the NYTimes that challenges our ideas of healthy is super interesting too!
K that’s all! Enjoy your week!