Sweet Onion Dressing
- 2 sweet onions, about 3 cups, diced
- 1 leek, about 1 heaping cup, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup unsweetened non dairy milk
- 2 tablespoons coconut nectar (sub agave nectar or honey)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Heat a large skillet over med-low heat. Add olive oil, onions, and leek. Sauté on low for 30 minutes, tossing occasionally.
- After 30 minutes, add the salt and pepper to the pan and stir.
- Take the contents of the skillet and transfer them to a blender (preferably a high speed one.)
- Add the coconut nectar, non dairy milk, and apple cider vinegar.
- Blend on high until smooth.
- Let cool in refrigerator for at least 20 minutes before using.
- Serve on salads, slaw or burgers!
- EAT UP.
Here in Georgia the summer is full of Vidalia onions. If you’ve never heard of a Vidalia onion, it is a sweet onion that comes from Vidalia, Georgia. It’s like the ultimate sweet onion. Super sweet, super delicious. So if you can find a Vidalia onion at the grocery store, MAKE THIS DRESSING WITH THOSE. If you can’t, a regular ‘ole sweet onion will do.
I love this dressing because it’s so naturally sweet and delicious, but also has that unmistakable caramelized taste that onions and leeks get when sautéed. It’s truly such a crowd pleaser, especially in the warmer months. I like to use it on salads, slaw, or even burgers! (I’m also tempted to just drink it at times, but I restrain.) So see what creative ways you can come up with to utilize all the best ingredients of summer! ENJOY.
Now comes the part of Saucy Sunday where I share all of my favorite things of the week, in hopes that we all can enjoy a laugh or an idea together. With each passing day in this world, it’s becoming more and more important to laugh a little and to remember the thing we love. Hold those things close. There is still good in the world. So here are my list of things I loved this week…
- JUST LISTEN TO THIS SONG. It will make you dance, and feel good, and it’s just all around a freakin’ jam.
- If you were ever a fan of High School Musical, you MUST watch this video. I cried laughing.
- I loved watching Edgy Veg collab with Nikki Limo in this video!
- This article from Bon Appetit was both interesting and frightening. Who knew food had changed that much???
- OH AND this article from the NYTimes that challenges our ideas of healthy is super interesting too!
K that’s all! Enjoy your week!