Tropical Cowboy Caviar
- 2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups jicima, diced
- 1 cup red onion, diced
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, sliced into thin rounds
- 1 cup celery, sliced thin
- 1 cup pineapple, diced
- 2 tablespoons jalapeno, diced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 orange, juiced
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- tortilla chips
- literally anything
Slice, dice, and chop all of your ingredients and add them to a large bowl.
Squeeze orange and lime juice over the bowl. Add olive oil, salt and pepper.
Toss until everything is well combined and tasty.
Yesterday I turned 24 years old. So I decided to make a list of 24 things I know resolutely about life and myself. ‘Cause, you know, self reflection ‘n stuff….
- I HATE the term “cowboy caviar.” I think it’s dumb, non-descriptive, and irrelevant. However…
- If you want a career in “interneting” you should pay attention to SEO keywords.
- I need a solid 8 hours of sleep in order to be a good human.
- I need food every 3-4 hours in order to be a good human.
- Life is better if you dance more. Literally, not metaphorically.
- Learning to love your body is not easy, but it’s possible.
- People are generally much kinder than you might assume.
- It is worth saying “hello.”
- If you’re an artist in a competitive field, you must constantly chant, “STAY IN YOUR OWN LANE.” (My dear friend, Cara, taught me that one.)
- It is important to admit when you don’t know something.
- It is important to be proud of yourself.
- Call your parents – if you can, if they will answer, if you have a choice. Do it. It will mean something in the end.
- Even if you are afraid, do it anyways. (*Except when you have that icky gut feeling, then don’t do it. Trust your gut.)
- Your body can and will tell you when it’s hungry and full, you just have to listen extra hard.
- It is hard to forgive. It is hard to love again. But it is also the most important thing we can do.
- I HATE kale stems and I will never get over it.
- It is important for women to encourage other women.
- Exercise can be the greatest gift you can give your mind/body.
- Scales are satan, and everyone should throw them away.
- Text him/her/them first. Forget societal rules. Just care about people.
- Home doesn’t have to be a place. Home can be people. Or one person.
- I am happiest when I am working toward something.
- Vulnerability is not something you get to opt out of.
- Happiness doesn’t find you. You have to actively pursue it. You have to choose it. Same goes for hope.
This was a really fun activity for me, I 100% recommend trying it. Do as many numbers as your age! Or just do 24. THERE ARE NO RULES. But you’re probably gonna need a thinking snack in order to make this list correctly. So obviously you should make this tropical “cowboy caviar” (UGH.) The name is awful, but the taste is on point. Anyway, make your snack, write your words, and chase your happy.