This post was sponsored by T-Sugars. Thank you for supporting the partnerships that allow Brewing Happiness to grow and exist. xoxo.
Watermelon Cupcakes with Coconut Cream Icing
- 1/2 seedless watermelon
- 1 can coconut cream, refrigerated overnight
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- a dash of salt
- T-Sugars Icing Sugar Mill, to taste
- Open your can of refrigerated coconut cream and scoop out the solid white part into a mixing bowl, discarding the clear liquid.
- Add in vanilla extract, salt, and twist the top of your T-Sugars Icing Sugar Mill until you have your desired amount of sweetness. (You can always add more later.)
- Mix with a standing or hand mixer on a low to medium setting until the mixture is smooth. (Taste test to see if you want to add more sugar or not.) Refrigerate your icing while you cut your watermelon.
- Cut your watermelon into 1 1/2" thick circular cuts from the middle. Cut off the rind and use a cookie cutter (or a jar) to make round cupcake shapes from your watermelon.
- Scoop your icing into a piping bag or a plastic bag and cut off a corner. Pipe icing onto watermelon circles.
- Sprinkle with optional T-Sugars Cassonade Sugar. Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve.
- EAT UP
I am going to admit a major kitchen fail experience here… A few years ago I wanted to make a watermelon cake for my birthday. I saw something about it on pinterest, but admittedly I didn’t read the recipe. I didn’t know you needed to discard the water from your refrigerated coconut cream. (I also think I tried to use light coconut milk – which DOESN’T work.) Anyway, I sat with a hand mixer trying to make an icing out of a liquid pool of coconut milk for like 30 minutes. In my defense I had been drinking, so my brain wasn’t at optimal speed. Anyway, I ditched the idea and just cut up the watermelon.
Over the years, I’ve learned a lot about food and about making icing out of coconut cream. So I decided to share my wisdom in a very simple summer recipe. Hopefully it will help you have watermelon cupcake success. *Fingers crossed*
I love the way these come together as a refreshing & healthy summer dessert option. The watermelon and coconut are an amazing flavor combo. And it’s really simple to put together. All you have to do is cut your watermelon into circle shapes. (LIFE HACK: use a jar or cup to do this if you don’t have a cookie cutter!) And from there mix up some sugah into coconut cream and refrigerate! BOOM. They will stay in great shape as long as you store them in the refrigerator!
Speaking of sugah…. let’s talk about why it’s great to use the T-Sugars Icing Sugar Mill in this recipe. Coconut cream has it’s own kind of sweetness to it, but it’s not cupcake-worthy sweet. So you need a little boost of sweetness to make it a truly special dessert experience. And the sugar mill self-sifts powdered sugar right into your bowl. So it’s mess free, and you get to control just how sweet the icing is. PLUS, it won’t liquify your icing like a liquid sweetener, and it won’t make your icing clumpy. So it’s the best sugah solution for this recipe.
So maybe you have a summer birthday or you wanna make these for your 4th of July celebrations…either way it’s the perfect way to have a healthy AND decadent dessert. Plus it won’t make you bloat or make you dehydrated. It’s basically a health food and dessert all in one. What could be better than that? Literally nothing. That’s what. So learn from my lessons (please) and have the best summer ever!