Whole Wheat Blueberry Blackberry Muffins
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup blackberries
- 1¼ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- ½ cup flaxseed meal
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup apple sauce
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine dry ingredients (whole wheat flour, coconut sugar, flaxseed meal, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon) into a large bowl. Mix well.
- Add in apple sauce, non dairy milk, coconut oil, and vanilla extract and mix until combined. Don't over mix.
- Fold in your blueberries and blackberries into the large bowl.
- Evenly divide your batter into a well greased muffin tin.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely IN THE MUFFIN TIN.
- EAT UP!
*If you want those pretty berries popin' out the top of your muffin, gently place extra berries on top of each muffin before you bake them!
In high school I went through a phase where I would drive through Starbucks every morning prior to school. I would order a venti iced white mocha with skim milk or soy or something. And then I would order one of those big ‘ole blueberry muffins. Oh boy oh boy I loved those muffins. But oh dear god, I was putting so much sugar into my body so early in the morning. UGH. How did I even function?
Now here I am, a grown human who is trying to be health-ier day by day, and yet I still crave those sugary blueberry muffins. So I made my own. A delicious, sweet and moist muffin PACKED with both blueberries and blackberries. YET it is free of refined sugar, white flour, dairy, eggs, and general junk. WOOOO. So that’s exciting.
If you aren’t a big fan of blueberries or blackberries, you can feel free to use all of one kind of berry. Or try a different berry all together (raspberries! strawberries!) OR you could try making my Chai Spiced Pear Muffins, because they are a very similar recipe but with pears and chai and a streusel topping! So that could be fun. Or it could totally not be your thing. Or whatever. You get to do what you want ’cause you’re a grown human who makes their own choices and eats whatever food you dang well please and I’m just ranting and maybe we should all go eat muffins. Okay bye.